Saturday, September 8, 2012

Week 3 Discussion #1

I believe Holmes is trying to say that when people are trying to reason with something, they always depend on their own views and assume why something is in its current situation with facts that may not be even true. People always assume something and stick with it, when in reality it’s a false assumption. They believe that their opinion is right and that is the conclusion for the reason. I believe Holmes is trying state that it’s hard for people to actually see outside of their opinion because they believe they are right. They have a hard time trying to dictate other possibilities just because they already know what the conclusion is through their own observations and possible rumors.

For example, I too have had this kind of experience where I thought my parents were coming home late because of traffic. Usually everyday they come home late because I know there is traffic all the time during rush hour at about 6:00PM on highway 680. I always assumed that when they are late, that means they were in traffic. It only takes one hour to get home from work from where we live, so why else would they be late. This is a good example of people using unsupported assumptions because in the end, my parents actually worked overtime. Therefore they were stuck in traffic. Also before that, they stayed over at my grandparents’ house to rest before heading back home, thus resulting for them coming home late.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, people do have a way of assuming that they are right, especially when it is something they have been thinking over for a while. It seems to me that it is much easier to see others as being in the wrong than it is for us to look at ourselves and see that we were the ones who made a mistake. I for one can be very stubborn about something that I believe to be true and have a hard to entertaining the possibility that my thoughts might have been misguided. Although I don’t think the world needs to be quite as analytical and rational as Sherlock Holmes, it probably wouldn’t hurt for us to be more open to other people’s ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HelloRWAR,
    I agree with you and realizing about the unsupported assumptions. Most people don’t seem to think things out and think the first thought that comes to mind. Holmes statements are in fact true because your story proves it. I also have a problem with making quick assumptions and not separating opinion from fact. It has happened to me when I misplace something and I am the type of person to accuse whoever was in the vicinity at the time, of stealing it. I go on rants about how people should be more respectful of my belongings, when in reality I should be looking for information and my lost item. We all make quick assumptions but it is better to find out facts rather than opinions.

    ReplyDelete