Sunday, November 18, 2012

Week of November 12-18 Discussion #3

I thought that the most important and also interesting in this section was the content about “Research Methodology and Scientific Experiments”. I thought this was important because I believed that these are the main basis to prove something whether right or wrong, the results could be anything. I believe this is the most important part because it helps determine something that one might find they are unsure about. I found it interesting that scientists have different kinds of variables to choose from when they want to run their experiment. These variables include: independent variable (controlled experiment that is being manipulated), dependent variable (controlled experiment that changes in response to the manipulation), controlled experiment ( all variables kept constant except for the independent variables), and confounding experiment (not accounted for or controlled by the experimental design. I found those really interesting because it showed different ways scientist can run tests, which then leads to the other concepts that were in the text called Field Experiments, Controlled Experiments, and Single-Group Experiments. Field Experiments are experiments where a scientist observes their intended subject in its natural state. Controlled is where scientist has full control over their subjects which can lead in much kind of results. Single-Group is a study of one subject and scientist base their results on only of that subject.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this chapter has given me a new found respect for scientists and all they do to validate their hypotheses. I guess I was just under the impression that all they had to do was come up with a theory and figure out if it was right or wrong. I didn’t really all the tests they have to put it through and all of the requirements it has to meet before it is even recognized by the scientific community. Though I’m not much of a scientist, I do think I’ve learned a lot from reading how they approach an argument

    ReplyDelete