Saturday, October 6, 2012

Week of October 1-7 Discussion #2

In the past few weeks or so, I believe I have used rhetorical devices: hyperbole, and sarcasm. Sarcasm means the use of ridicule, insults, taunting, and/or caustic irony. Hyperbole means a rhetorical device that uses an exaggeration. One of the latest rhetorical devices I used was hyperbole. Just a few weeks ago, I was explaining to a friend of mine about a how I believe a character in a certain game does too much damage. I used exaggerated terms to describe the damage done, for example: “1,000,000”, “tons of damage”, and “stupid damage”. “That character does stupid damage at that level! It’s ridiculous!” I used that rhetorical device because I wanted to express how much damage I feel was being done, and I thought exaggerating would show my point. Another rhetorical device that I used was sarcasm. Just a few days ago, I asked my brother to hand over a piece of paper. He threw the sheet of paper towards my way, but landed nowhere near me, then I said “Oh thank you very much for HANDING me a piece of paper.”

1 comment:

  1. I love your example of exaggerated terms to describe how you use damage in video games. I can relate to that as well because I also do exaggerate when I play video games as well such as taking damage or anything. If my character would get hurt I freak out and say things such as "stupid damage" or "crazy damage" but then again I'm not sure if it is really exaggerating just because since it is a video game it can be that ridiculous. So as you pointed out, exaggerated terms can actually be seen and used in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete